How to create an FTP Account in cPanel?
You can use your primary cPanel username and password to access all folders and files via FTP. However, if you want to create an FTP user account for a specific folder or you don't want to allow access to your root files, then you can create a separate FTP User Account by following these steps:
1. Log into your cPanel account.
2. In the Files section, click on FTP Accounts Icon
3. Under Add FTP Account, fill in the following details:
- Log In : FTP Username like "newuser" (without the quotes and spaces).
- Password : Enter new FTP Password twice or generate a new password by clicking on the Password Generator button. If manually entering a password, you must consider the Password Strength Indicator.
- Directory : If you want to give access to the entire /public_html folder, enter "public_html" (with no quotes) or change folder path to a different path like "public_html/newuser" (no quotes) and your FTP user will be granted access to only the "newuser" folder. Furthermore, your new FTP user will be unable to access folders outside of the "public_html/newuser" folder.
- Quota : Specify the quota in a numerical limit (like 2000 mb for example) or select unlimited.
4. Click on the blue Create FTP Account button.
Now you can access your files by using your newly-created FTP account with the following settings :
- Host : Your Website IP or enter your website name like ftp.example.com (replace example.com with your website address).
- Username: firstname.lastname@example.org (replace example.com with your website address).
- FTP Port: 21 (Default port is 21)
- FTP Password: The password specified when creating the FTP account
For more detail on how to configure an FTP program, please see this article. If you need nay help, let us know!
Was this answer helpful?
While any FTP user is connected to your cPanel account, their FTP connection will be listed in...
If you want to increase/decrease the FTP Quota or switch a user to an Unlimited FTP Quota, then...
If you want to change password for your primary FTP Account then you need to change your root...
If you need to remove an FTP user account for any reason, then you can accomplish this by...
Setting up your local FTP client with your cPanel FTP account is extremely easy. To access the...