How to upload and download files to your account with CuteFTP -- a popular FTP Program. Complete instructions for using CuteFTP can be found on their website: www.cuteftp.com
At the first screen you see when you open CuteFTP, click the New Button, and enter the following information:
Label for site - This is the name that CuteFTP will use to identify the session that you start, it allows you to access these settings again in the future.
FTP Host Address - The Host Address should always be ftp.datarealm.com.
FTP site Username - This is your account login name, the same username that you use to log into your /admin Control Panel. This is how our system identifies who you are and knows where your files will go.
FTP site Password - This is your account password, the same one that you use to log into your account Control Panel. The password is case sensitive.
FTP site connection port - This should always be set to 21
Login Type - You can set this to 'Normal' or 'Double' (double provides an extra level of security). Using 'Anonymous' will not give the desired results.
Click on the Connect button and CuteFTP will try to connect. If it is unable to, you will receive an error message indicating the cause of the problem. To help decipher the problem, please see our Troubleshooting section below.
Once you've connected to your account, you will be presented with the CuteFTP main interface. The left hand window shows the files on your computer (local). The right hand window shows the files in your account (remote). To Upload files to your account, use the following steps:
1) Open the directory on the local side that contains the files or directories you want to upload.
2) Make sure that the directory that you want to transfer your files to is opened in the Remote Site window.
3) Select the files/directories that you want to upload from the local window.
4) To begin transferring files, click the Upload button on the tool bar.
You can monitor the upload in the status window at the bottom of the screen. If the upload encounters any problems they will be detailed here. To understand some common problems, please see the troubleshooting section.
Downloading the files in your account is a good way to keep a backup of the files in your account. Once you've connected to your account, you will be presented with the CuteFTP main interface. The left hand window shows the files on your computer (local). The right hand window shows the files in your account (remote). To download files your account, use the following steps:
1) Open the directory on the remote side that contains the files or directories you want to download.
2) Make sure that the directory that you want to transfer your files to is opened in the local window.
3) Select the files/directories that you want to download from the remote window.
4) To begin transferring files, click the Download button on the tool bar.
5) You can monitor the upload in the status window at the bottom of the screen.
Occasionally problems can arise while uploading files to your account. Luckily they are usually easy to correct. Below is a list of common error messages, and their fixes. If you get a problem that won't go away, please contact us and we'll gladly assist you.
"Can't get "ftp.datarealm.com" host entry" or "Connection to ftp.datarealm.com failed" - Check to make sure that you are connected to your ISP. If you are not online, connect and try again. If you are connected, wait a few minutes and try again.
"530 Login incorrect." or "Logon failure, so quitting" - This error is caused by an incorrect username or password. Double check your username an password entries for any errors. Remember both the username and password are case sensitive.
"550 Could not open: Disk quota exceeded" or "450 Write error: Disk quota exceeded" - This indicates that the amount of disk space on the account has been reached. You can remove files from the account to open up some space for the new files, or you can add additional space to your account. If you wish to add space to your account, please email email@example.com
"Send error: connection reset" or "Receive error: connection reset" - To keep our FTP server operating properly, we have set the idle connection time to 20 minutes. What this means is that if you are connected to ftp.datarealm.com for longer than 20 minutes without doing anything, we will disconnect you. Reconnecting to the ftp server will give you a fresh connection, and allow you to continue your uploading/downloading.
If you are unable to connect with FTP, and everything is set properly, it may be a problem with your firewall or cable modem. To get around this problem, you will need to switch CuteFTP to passive mode. To do this:
1) Click Edit -> Settings menu from the tool bar.
2) Under the Connection menu select Firewall.
3) Check the PASV Mode checkbox. If you still cannot connect, please email firstname.lastname@example.org